Why Use MDTP Tasks?
- Help improve students’ ability to think and communicate effectively about mathematics.
- Learn about student thinking. Use that info to adjust teaching strategies and move learning forward.
Power of WRI (Written Response Items)
- Analyze student papers – learn more about student thinking
- Inform and guide class discussions
- Use analysis to determine next steps
- Setting expectations especially re MP’s
- MP 1 (make sense and persevere)
- MP 3 (viable arguments, critique reasoning of others)
- MP 6 (attend to precision)
For example, written response item: ARCOGR
- Coordinate graphing
- Distance on coordinate plane
- You might choose this task as a relatively easy intro to writing about math
- Not too advanced, gives students opportunity to work on communication and stretch knowledge and vocab of coord geo.
Register for access to these items here