Improving Students’ Mathematical Understanding
Filling in Gaps, Rectifying Misunderstandings,
Moving Learning Forward
MDTP at UCLA is offering a five-week mini-course designed to support secondary teachers in their efforts to improve their students’ mathematical understandings. In this collaborative effort, we will:
- Administer an MDTP diagnostic to establish a baseline understanding of student thinking.
- Meet regularly to evaluate progress and set goals.
- Explore, select, and customize math activities that engage students in the math practices and deepen their understanding.
- Analyze and respond to student work.
Two sections will be offered, each consisting of five meetings of three to four hours duration:
Section 1: The Saturday morning section will be held in the UCLA Math Sciences Building. You will meet and join with colleagues from area schools beginning March 11, 2017. Depending on enrollment, the section will be either middle or high school focused.
Section 2: The on-site school section will be scheduled in consultation with the selected school, but preference will be given to schools willing to commit to meeting at least every three weeks.
Section 1 (Saturdays at UCLA) or Section 2 (School on-site, times tbd)
* Sponsored by MDTP and the UCLA Math Department *
This opportunity is provided at no cost to participants